Lily does this every time Ben and I have to get ready to go somewhere. Does she ever share her blankie with Skyler? Nope.
The other night I was holding Ella in my arms. It was probably sometime around 3 AM and I
was rocking in her recliner. It was
dimly lit by her night light, which was just enough for me to see her cute
little eyes wide open and staring directly at me. At first my thoughts were, “Okay…. you want
to go to sleep now, right??? Doesn’t
that sound soooo nice???” But as I kept
staring at her it hit me. This is amazing. What I normally refer to as “The Little
Bundle of Cuteness” is this huge spirit in a tiny body. I wondered if she was homesick. I made her room a nature theme for a reason,
and for that same reason, I love taking Ella outside.
I think it was her second day home. We had just put Lily and Skyler in bed and
Ben wanted to show me how big some of the watermelons were getting in our
garden. So I picked up Ella and we went
outside. She had the same look in her
eyes as when I held her that one night.
Her eyes were wide and focused, just staring at the sunset.
I don’t remember who said it, but I read an article written
by some general authority, and he said that the reason why every human being is
in awe by nature is because it reminds us of home – our true home. Because there we had flowers and sunsets and
mountains and oceans, too. All of this
is just a reflection of our past. And
our future.
When I get a rare chance of quiet alone time with Ella,
sometimes I catch myself tearing up. She
was just there. And I’ve learned not to feel guilty for
transporting this little person from one world to another. I’m
sure our last home was incredible. I’m
sure there was beauty beyond description.
But you know what? Even though
this world is so imperfect, I get to see the beauty of each day through my
children, since they are Heavenly Father’s greatest creations.
I don’t know how Heavenly Father can trust us to parent His
children. I can barely let my own kids
hold Ella without blinking to make sure that she stays in one piece. But I’m grateful that I have this opportunity
to see the beauty of His creations, even if it does come in the silence at 3
AM.

2 comments:
Two words that come to my mine are 'patterned after'. I'm sure that phrase sounds familiar.
I totally agree that one reason why we feel closer to God when we are in nature is that it does remind us of our Eternal Home.
Beautiful! Thank you.
Post a Comment