Friday, February 15, 2013

Valentine's Day : Success

As usual, Valentine's Day was successful.  To us, February 14th is a day of extra fun food and a little extra love and patience for each other.  

The kids started out their day with pink oatmeal, strawberries, and pink eggs (which made this pregnant girl gag).


We parentals got something a little tastier: avocado smeared toast with broken soft boiled eggs, bacon, and strawberries.  


This baby was perfect all day.  As I write this she's just waking up from a 5 hour nap.  Have I ever mentioned that we love Ella, even when she falls asleep face first on her play mat?  This picture is another great one of her ombre hair.


When she's freshly bathed, her curls are pretty curly.  She was our littlest Valentine this year.


Sometimes the kids hear Ella wake up from her naps before I do so they'll go into her room and entertain her until I can pull her out of her crib.  The other day I ran into them singing Give Said the Little Stream.  They typically squeeze their toys in through the bar so that Ella can "play" with them.  She has a nice collection of planes and barbies in there.  Too bad Ella still loves to be swaddled at night and can't use her little arms for playing.  


Ben worked from home on Valentine's Day (I mean, he only goes into the office twice a week.  It's awesome).  He disappeared in the early afternoon and when he came home he told me to go upstairs for 15 minutes.  Lily came up the stairs with a big smile on her face.  "I've got a secret.  Daddy got you flowers.  TWO things of flowers."  Haha.  Life is so full of "surprises" when little children are in the house.  It turns out that Ben got me a bouquet of roses and bought Lily her own bouquet (the child is obsessed with flowers because she knows that lilies are flowers).  Skyler ended up with new Pixar and Lego undies.  Ella ended up with lots of cuddles and a taste of the first food she actually likes: bananas.

The star of the show on V-Day is always dinner.  Keeping up with our family tradition, we had fondue again.  Every year we mix up what we dip, and this year was delicious.  We kept it to Italian bread, broccoli, cauliflower, and mushrooms.  Then for dessert we dipped strawberries, marshmallows, and bananas in chocolate.  It was all delicious!  The only thing a little different about this year was that we weren't alone.  It was our turn to feed the elders and we laughed when we found out about it, but it turned out to be a blast!  They enjoyed having a different dinner and they both even got sneakily kissed by Lily before she dashed up the stairs for bed.  Happy V-Day to them!  Now they can say that they got kissed by a girl on Valentine's Day on their missions.  Uh oh.  

I love Valentine's Day.  It's a special day to remember to love what you hold dear.  I'm grateful I got to spend the whole day with my family.  And also eating lots of rich food without feeling guilty.... *ahem*

3 comments:

Sarah Baird said...

Sounds like a great Valentine's Day! The picture of Ella sleeping face down made me laugh! She is such a cutie. Also, just so you know, your comment on my blog about the umbilical cord was epic! I was laughing so hard when I read that.

Kristen said...

We did colored eggs for April Fools one time and green ones for St. Patrick's Day. I wasn't pregnant then, but they were absolutely one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen. I love your traditions, though! :)

Liz Wilcken said...

Rose totally loves flowers too. In fact, she loves the song in primary we're all learning this month and points to herself when it gets to the "velvet rose" part.