I've mentioned it a couple of times, that Lily likes to write her letters. And by writing letters, I mean writing letters. Like, on steroids. When Lily reads me 12 stories (and fills up a line on her sticker chart) she earns a trip to the Dollar Tree or the dollar section of Target. Most of the time she asks for a mini notebook. She also gets notebooks as Christmas and birthday presents. She's obsessed. She'll completely fill them with pages that look just like this. I can't wait until the day comes when she's writing real words and sentences. She can only write a few real words, but I'm pretty impressed with her interest. Below is her reading chart. I have never been so proud of a bunch of stickers in my life.
Teaching Lily to read has been quite the process. It reminded me a lot of potty training, actually. It's hard to teach in the very beginning and Lily would easily get frustrated. But then things started catching on like how she could sound out each letter. And just like potty training, there were lots of "oops" moments and times when I wanted to pull my hair out because she wouldn't even look at the words. But I think she's starting to get it. And both of us are amazed by her skills now. Some stories she can even read all the way through. I'm so proud of her, and, if I'm being completely honest here, I'm proud of me too. I made a mental goal that I would sit down and practice reading with her any time she asked. Any time. Dinners have been taken off the burner, kitchens have been half swept, Mommy/Daddy conversations have been put on hold, etc. Even though I had that thought of, Now's not a good time, most of the time, I kept to my goal almost every single time and I'm so grateful I did. It's been quite the journey for both of us but it has been very rewarding.
Lily's Quote of the Week
"Mom, did you know that an email written on paper is called a letter?"
My only thought was: This is so backwards.
7 comments:
hey, if she's motivated by stickers, than anything is possible!
Heather, that is the best quote EVER. Seriously...that's the kind of quote that reminds me how "old" I am and also how technologically savvy our children are at such a young age. Times have changed!
I think you should send Lily's quote to the Reader's Digest. I bet you would earn some money! And we hope to get some good reading time in with Lily when we visit!
Go Lily! So do you only sound out words, or do you have a list of sight words that she works on? In kindergarten, the kids don't start off reading, they learn sight words like: I, am, like, that, they, and, etc.... Then they get little books that have a couple sight words, then a pictures with their words under it to fill in the rest of the story (it's called rubric I think). Anyways, that might help too if you have some sight words to work on that don't really work too well to sound out. You're doing a great job Heather!
So proud of you and Miss Lily! Way to go!
Sounds like Miss Lily is an aspiring future writer like her mama.
Sounds like Miss Lily is an aspiring future writer like her mama.
Post a Comment