Friday, July 5, 2013

July 3rd and July 4th




On the 3rd, Ben turned the big 3-0.  For a year I had been thinking of ways I could make his big birthday special.  I had lots of plans, but what wasn't in the plans was buying a house.  I could give a million reasons as to why this harms birthday plans, but here are the two biggies: 1- stress/busyness.  2 - Lenders have to watch your every purchase for a while before giving you your loan. 

So what was an awesome birthday in my head turned out to be a very small version of it.  He had monkey bread, bacon, and fruit for breakfast and for dinner I was able to surprise him with a trip to Guasaca.  Ben served his mission in Venezuela and authentic Venezuelan food is hard to come by, so when I somewhat recently heard of a Venezuelan restaurant (that had phenomenal reviews) opening up near our local hospital I bought a Groupon for it and held it until his birthday.  It was amazing.  No lie.  And Ben loved it so that made it a huge success.  When I'm in the hospital having #4, I know where Ben will be when he says he's going to the "cafeteria" for food.  Then we went appliance shopping for the new house, and headed home for homemade raspberry ice cream and birthday cupcakes.  All in all it wasn't as humongo of a day as I was hoping for, but Ben and I are giving each other an amazing house for our birthdays, and I think I can say that it'll be the best birthday present we'll ever get, so no complaints here.


Ben's Quote of the Week

Ben and I were talking about how Lily is a mini me.  I had just said how I hoped she wouldn't inherit some of my not so awesome qualities.  That's when Ben said, "Like your heart."  I just stared at him.  That's not the type of thing that Ben ever says seriously.
My translation: "You're a cold-hearted person."
Ben's translation: "Like your physical heart, aka 3 heart conditions."
When I finally figured out our difference in understanding I burst out laughing.  Oh man.  Gotta love English.


Our 4th of July was just as grand as Ben's birthday.  We went to our 3rd (and final) Garner Ward 4th of July Breakfast at the park.  It was delicious and the kids had a blast playing.  We are seriously going to miss a lot of people in this ward.  Then my parents came over and we spent the day packing.  Woohoo!  But so much has been done that all we really have to do now is pack up some more stuff, put it all in the moving truck, and sign our names a million times on closing day, which is now the 16th.  I'll probably write a post about this whole moving experience, but for now, let me just say that it has been one big miracle to me.  Everything that could have possibly gone wrong has actually gone right.  Everything has fallen into place as easily and as quickly as possible.  I will never cease to be amazed by this experience.  But we're excited about moving soon and and calling a new place Home.

2 comments:

David & Brenda said...

Happy Birthday again, our dear son. We love you 30 times over...and more!

Cheryl said...

Happy Birthday to an amzing 30 year old! Did you ever think you'd be where you are right now at 30 years old!!! I can't believe how old everyone else has become! :)
Love you tons Benjamin!!!!!