Thad's first birthday is on Monday. Let's make a deal and not talk about it, okay? He is my last and I'm currently on the bitter side of this bittersweet event. And let's face it. I'm not good with my kids having birthdays in the first place.
I lost my winning streak for the year and finally broke down in tears this time. It's only because he is the sweetest sweetie in the history of the world. I kid you not. I told him today I want him to stay this age for the next 3 years and then he can go on to being 4. Let's just skip the toddler years, okay Thad?
Whatever my emotions, we had a small party for him with just my parents.
He is so so so close to walking! It'll be any day now.
Skyler didn't have a present to give Thad so he wrapped himself up for Thad to unwrap.
They seriously love being bedroom buddies.
We all took time to play extra long with him today.
The cake was consumed in the way of one year-olds -- aka the best way possible.
And note the leg on his tray. He likes to make himself at home at home. And at Pei Wei. And everywhere else. The foot stays up.
Have you ever lost so much control while eating something so ooey gooilly delicious that it ended up being smeared everywhere that you just had to keep licking it, even if that meant that you were licking it off your feet?
No?
Me either.
(Thad's complete whatever face is my favorite part of this whole picture)
After a much needed bath it was then time for presents.
(It was about 3 hours before this picture took place that I realized Uh, it's Thad's birthday party today. Hmmm. Guess I should have bought him a present.)
Be comforted in knowing that he will definitely have a present by the end of his birthday on Monday.
Thank goodness for grandparents being prepared, right?
His foot went in his mouth, his ball went in his mouth, the wrapping paper went in his mouth, Lily's flip flop went in his mouth...
He didn't even want to bother with Nanni and Papa's much cooler other toy they brought him. The ball was a huge hit!
Thad stop growing! I love you too much to lose you in this perfect state! You let me cover you in kisses whenever I want. You hardly ever cry. You take about 5 hours worth of naps every day. You aren't fazed by your siblings' craziness and noise. You don't get offended when I tell you not to jump on Skyler's bed or swing around on the ceiling fan when I leave after tucking you and Skyler in bed. You say Dada when you see Daddy. You say "Whoooaaa" after you choked on something and spit it back up. You say "Uh oh" over everything because at this age you pretty much do everything wrong. Oh. My. Goodness. I completely adore you.
Happy first birthday, Thaddeo!
5 comments:
Happy birthday! He and Skyler look like twins. And I LOVE Nanni and Papa's whale spouts. Kate asked if that was Papa's real hair. :)
Happy Birthday Thad! I, too, vote that you stop growing up. You're absolutely precious exactly the way you are. I seem to recall telling your mother to stop growing up when she was about 3 years old, but did it do any good? Not really, but as it turned out it was all for the best because if she hadn't grown up we would have missed out on having 4 of the best 10 grandchildren on earth.
Happy early birthday, Thad! Preston was hoping that he and Thad could each have their own smash cake during our visit home, but sadly we weren't able to have that experience. Hopefully in a few years they can do it. :)
I just had to come back for another look at that little angel! Sure love you, our little one-year-old Thad!!!
I'm with you 100% on the growing up thing. I know it's great (and I love my live-in teenage baby-sitter) but seriously--it's the pits.
Post a Comment