Last Sunday we were almost in another car accident. We were driving home from church and taking the short cut -- country roads -- when we had to slow down to make a left turn.
Oncoming traffic was leaving few gaps for us to turn through. My focus as the passenger was merely waiting for that gap. But out of the blue Ben steered us as far off the road as he could and into the grass to the side of the shoulder -- as far as we could drive in a split second, anyway.
He yelled something like, "Oh my gosh!" before it all happened but it didn't click in my mind until I heard the moving truck behind us squealing its tires as it spun, over-correcting itself behind us, probably missing our van by about a foot. Ben had at the last second seen the truck in the rear-view mirror and knew they weren't paying attention. He reacted instantly.
Unfortunately, two elderly men in the oncoming lane were the victims of the ignorant truck driver. Neither were killed in the head on collision, but a few involved from both parties were injured.
The sound of the crash was all too familiar. I knew by volume alone that we weren't the ones hit. We were blessed.
Ben jumped out immediately to help. Although there were several people at the scene, I was somehow the first one to call 911. I ran across the country road in my heels to help once the kids -- mostly Lily -- were emotionally fine. Ben stopped a man's bleeding with one of our burp cloths. We talked to the police officers a little bit. When we couldn't do anything more we went home.
I call myself a magnet to car accidents.
Miraculously, this was the first one I've witnessed where I wasn't directly involved.
I could have asked myself many questions this week as I've thought about it. Why not us? Why was the driver not paying attention -- especially since he was renting a moving van? Is everyone involved okay? Am I going to have to re-do my therapy I had to have over my fear of driving thanks to all the said accidents?
But the only question that's really been filling my mind is this: Why did Ben look in the rear view mirror when he should have been looking for a gap in the traffic to turn left?
I honestly consider this no less than a miracle. After seeing the damage, Ben and I are sure that some if not all our kids would have been in the hospital had the truck hit us.
The next day I did next to nothing in terms of chores around the house. I cuddled my kids instead. Out of the good, better, and best options, I would say I chose the best by cuddling them and thanking my Heavenly Father for their safety.
3 comments:
It's a good thing that guardian angels don't get Sundays off. We're so grateful that all of you were protected.
We are grateful you are all right. I remember when we were taking Daniel from Rexburg to the U of U Medical Center during a major winter storm to have tests to determine what was wrong with him. We were stuck in deep slush in the right lane when a semi approached at full speed. Dad knew we were all dead and then at the last second the driver suddenly jerked into the left lane, barely missing us. We were filled with wonder and gratitude because we knew our lives had been spared. Benjamin wouldn't be here today if not for that miracle as well. Truly God is in our lives and we have to have eyes to see it. Sometimes we see it more clearly than at other times, but He is always there. By the way, I can't believe our little Thad is standing! Does he take any steps yet?
God's tender mercies to those who believe in Him and live close to the Spirit which told him to look in the mirror! We had a very similar near miss when Al was the Bishop. We should have all been killed, but Al responded in a way that was not instinctive (he was prompted) and it saved our lives. God is good and he is blessing you and Ben for your righteousness!! We are so glad you are alright!!
Post a Comment