Since the last day of the trip was a Sunday, we wanted to make it as nature-centered as possible. So we thought that a hike to see some waterfalls would be a perfect idea. Our last trip to the mountains taught me one thing: if you think you've done enough research, you haven't done enough research. That time we ended up hiking a trail that was labeled "family friendly" online, but was actually quite strenuous. But this time around I found a website that rates the trails on duration, topography, and overall difficulty. Each hike was described really well with pictures included and so I was able to find this one which was minutes from Bryson City. It was an hour hike round-trip at Ella's pace. In that hour we hiked along the river the whole time and saw two waterfalls. It was easy and perfect.
Seriously, do big sisters get any better than Lily? I love that girl.
It was such a great Sunday morning walk because we virtually had the trail to ourselves. Ben and I loved that because being in the mountains always feels like a spiritual experience to us.
In the beginning we were just throwing small rocks in the river. But when Ben threw in the biggest, flattest rock he could find, the kids were hooked.
They found a boulder that looked like a piece of pie.
After they ate it they told me it was cherry flavored.
Thad was a happy rider just holding onto his leaf.... and then eating it in the car....
Asheville was on the drive home, so we stopped by their nature center since it's free with our zoo membership. We met this gorgeous owl and learned how to make an owl box for our own home.
I was so excited to see the otters! One of my favorite animals.
The bears were so cute. I just wanted to squish them from afar. So did Ella.
The nature center was a great way for the kids to stretch their legs for an hour on the drive home.
Ella desperately wanted to be one with the raccoons.
The whole trip was fantastic. It reminded me that although my kids aren't perfect, they're really great kids. Over and over they thanked us for doing this. But if we're going to be honest, on the drive home I was saying things like, "I'm so sleep. I really need to get more tired." Ben and I thankfully slept like rocks last night in our own bed and we're excited to catch up on General Conference.
3 comments:
I so much enjoyed EVERYTHING! Thank you for all the pictures and the fun.
I think we need to vacation in NC -- looks like a fabulous place for families.
Thanks for all of the pictures! Looks like you had a blast!!
Post a Comment