Sunday, October 12, 2014

Skyler's Change

Skyler was born with colic and on many days, it has seemed like it never went away.  We love Skyler to the moon and back, but some days it has seemed like he had more emotions that the rest of our family combined.  It is hard in two ways: first, it's hard to listen to crying ALL THE TIME.  Second, it's hard not to be able to fully help your child when they're so emotional.


And even though Ben and I both felt about a year ago that we should homeschool our kids, I just kept feeling over and over again that Skyler needed to go to Kindergarten at Holly Ridge.  This impression was clearer than most for me so we went along with it, no problem at all.


I had talked with Mrs. Lockhart (Lily's old Kindergarten teacher) several times about how much I would love to have her as Skyler's teacher.  The principal doesn't allow parents to request teachers so I knew it was out of my hands.  But Mrs. Lockhart and I have such a great parent/teacher relationship that she pulled some strings, requested Skyler in her class at the beginning of the year, and I in return volunteer in there every Friday.


Just from the beginning of the school year I have been able to see a dramatic difference in Skyler.  He probably still cries more than the average 5 year-old, but to me, he is the happiest I've ever seen him!


We had interim reports come home so parents could see their kids grades and I wasn't surprised at all that Skyler is on schedule or ahead in everything.  I think school has helped him to see how special and talented he is.  On the other hand, I think it's been good for him to see that Ben and I aren't the only people who have rules and that everyone is required to obey them.

I am so thankful to see the side of my son that I have loved for so long as the main part of his character now.  His sweetness toward his siblings and his love for Ben and I are almost overflowing now.  It takes forever to tuck him in now because he just wants "cheeky squeezes" and kisses non-stop.  I'll take it.  :)

2 comments:

thepodfather said...

Ya gotta love Skyler. And BTW, did you know that he's fast?

David & Brenda said...

Such cute pictures of our little man!