Friday, February 13, 2015

Camp Out Fun

Back in the day, I used to be scared any time Ben slept away from home on camp outs.  I don't know why I was so paranoid, but I was.  I would barely sleep and by the time morning came, I was beyond exhausted.  But now that it's been a few years of this, I'm used to it.  So to make it easier on me, we typically have fun when Daddy is gone.  Dinner is something easy like pancakes and we usually eat it as a picnic in the living room while watching a movie.  

This last time Ben was on a camp out, it was Lily's turn to say family prayer.  One of the things she said she was thankful for was that Daddy was gone (because it meant having pancakes and watching a movie).  She said it in her personal prayers that night, too.  It makes you really understand what they really think of us.  Ha!






On Sunday Ben stayed home with sick Skyler.  They watched some church movies and then they drew some pictures.  Ben drew a picture of Jesus and Skyler decided he wanted to, as well.  I think his picture is amazing for a 5 year-old!  I'm constantly impressed with it.


Thaddeo wearing Skyler's t-ball helmet.  It was one of the cutest things I've ever seen, but he kept running away from me (probably thinking I was going to take the helmet away) so this is the best picture I was able to get.


I've noticed that sometimes it's easy for me to get caught up in things that don't matter.  A couple of weeks ago, the six of us were at Costco.  Since it was lunch time we grabbed hot dogs for the kids.  When we sat down to eat it was a little crazy as usual.  Ben gets all the food, drinks, silverware, and napkins while I watch the kids.  I had Thad in my lap and Ella to my side as I'm trying to cut it up and feed both of them.  Lily's missing a few teeth and so chewing is difficult so I actually had to cut up her hot dog as well.  All four stopped eating at different times so I'm trying to make sure that they all got even amounts of frozen yogurt that we were sharing.  I'm glad I decided not to eat there because I wouldn't have been able to while spoon feeding both the babies.  Anyway, I knew it must have all looked ridiculous to strangers.  But then a woman who was sitting near us asked me, "Are your children all so well-behaved all the time?"

It just surprised me.  But that moment made me realize that yes, my kids really are well-behaved.  They're super loud and sometimes fight, but other than that, they're pretty amazing and polite kids.  I've appreciated the fact that they are well behaved in church (well, Lily and Skyler are) and at school, but I never really thought of it beyond.

Oh those four cuties -- I think I'll keep them.

No comments: