Lately, I have been watching my family grow and I am amazed at the wonderful spirits that Heavenly Father has entrusted to us. Heather and I have been so blessed to have our 4 kids. It seems like yesterday we were in the hospital with Lily and Ka-Boom! We have 4 kids and Lily isn't so little.
Now, I will never admit this to Heather, but it does pull my heart strings a little to have all of them growing up and I wish there was a pause button in life. Thankfully all of them still love to snuggle with me, give me kisses no mater where we are, and they still feel like I am superman. But how much longer do I have until my sweet little cuddler Lily would rather read in her room? How long until my tender hearted macho man Skyler is hitting home runs? When will my not so perfect princess Ella is chasing boys instead of me or Thad, my protégé at pranking, be going out with his friends and think I am embarrassing? When that day comes I hope that I can look back on today and remember the small things that make our simple life so sweet and so filled with love and meaning.
The other day I was talking to a friend about people who are always traveling or doing really cool stuff. I admitted that I was a little envious. My friend then echoed what Heather has said in the past, "What have they had to sacrifice to live the way they do?"
I know that I feel like I sacrifice too much as it is already. Trying to pay for a house and provide for my family takes a lot of work. I know that I would find it very hard to sacrifice more for these extra things. I need the little tickles that Thad gives me everyday or grumpy cheek squeeze kiss that Ella gives me. I can't imagine going without tickle fights and kisses before bed each night with Skyler or being Lily's prayer buddy and listening to her faith filled prayers. How could I give these moments ups? For money? For stamps in a passport? For another night on the town? I don't think so.
I have everything I need right here in my home. My kids ARE growing up! I can't stop it, but I can enjoy every single moment of it with my best friend. There will be a time for traveling and doing cool stuff ... maybe. All I need right now is to sit back and soak up every little detail, That way, when Heather and I are grey and can't remember where we put our teeth, we can remind each other of the wonderful lives we have had and that we have had our own little piece of heaven right here in our home. After all, isn't that what we all want?
4 comments:
How wise you are to recognize that truth! You are indeed blessed.
Ben, you're right. It's a great blessing to be able to spend time with your kids, and they do grow up WAY too fast. Enjoy it while you can. My advice to you is to start telling them stories about how terrible it is to live outside of North Carolina, get them hooked on NC BBQ, and make sure that they fall in love with both the mountains AND the beach. That way when they move out on their own HOPEFULLY they will settle in NC (the REAL promised land ;-)) and you'll be able to enjoy the blessing of having grandkids close by.
Very well expressed, Ben! WE love you.
So beautifully written and expressed. Filled my heart with peace and joy ... although I have to say to the other set of grandparents - Hey!
Post a Comment