Yesterday Thad's temperature spiked and he got a tummy bug. The throw up was not fun and I felt so badly for how miserable he was. I knew Mother's Day was likely going to be a disaster.
Little did I know that a little miracle pulled through and we were able to have a fantastic day!
I woke up and started getting ready for church. Ella ran into my room and announced, "Happy Father's Day, Mommy! I love you!" She tucked me back in bed with her own blankie and pillow pet, and even turned on my "light" aka electric blanket. (Yes, I do sleep with one year-round because I'm crazy).
Ben made me a fabulous breakfast. Jalapeno and tomato omelette with fresh fruit and lots of bacon. Ella even gave me half of her bacon, and if you don't know my kids well, just know that that is LOVE. Ben stayed home with the babies just in case Thaddeo was contagious. I got to listen to Lily give her very first Primary talk by herself (she did great!) And I came home to a clean house and happy babies.
My parents came over early so that we could all attend the biggest event of the day: Lily's very first dance recital. Oh. My. Goodness. It was the perfect way to spend Mother's Day. I seriously can't think of anything I'd rather do than that. After watching the recital I eagerly ordered a DVD copy for myself! I can't wait to watch it over and over again! If I'm lucky I'll figure out how to post Lily's dances on the blog because she was amazing but also hysterical! She was thrilled with her flowers afterward and my parents' wand that they gave her. As we were driving home from the recital Lily asked me, "Are Nanni and Papa coming back home with us?" I told her yes and that they would be eating dinner with us. She was so excited because apparently she had just made a wish on the wand that they would spend the day with us. Yes, Lily, it was totally the wand and not previously made plans...
Ben and my Dad have a history of spoiling us on Mother's Day. Filet Mignon, mashed potatoes, fresh fruit, salad, and jalapeno poppers were on the menu with a killer chocolate mousse cake for dessert. What can I say? We're food people.
I ended up with some fabulous gifts. Ben The kids got me my favorite flowers -- a potted hydrangea. Skyler made me a construction paper purse with hilarious notes inside. In his art class at school he also made me a clay heart pendent to wear on a necklace. When Lily saw it she asked if she could have it. When I told her no she asked, "Well then can I have it when you're dead?" Uh... morbidly creepy, are we, Lily?
It was a perfect Mother's Day! I'm so grateful for this wonderful holiday where I get to be appreciated for all these long repetitive days that so often seem to be meaningless. But when I watch Lily dance, and I cheer on Skyler during his T-ball games, and when I paint nails with Ella, and when I read books with Thad, everything is right in the world and I remember that this is the best. I could want nothing greater than this.
No comments:
Post a Comment