Lily's b-day isn't until the 24th. But long story short, we celebrated it 18 days early. I gave her 4 options for party themes and she chose a cake decorating party. Naturally, I went to the biggest party expert I know -- Pinterest -- and planned the entire thing.
I knew this party would include 2 of my least favorite things:
1. Cake Decorating
2. Sewing
I knew I would want each girl to have her own apron. This way their clothes would be protected and it would be a cute party favor. I went to go look at fabric, completely dreading the idea of sewing up 9 aprons, and as I was looking and budgeting a price in my head (I thought I could make each for about $8 plus a little of my sanity) the spirit told me to go home and look online again. I had already shopped around and I didn't find any cute adult sized aprons that came even close to $8.
But I listened and obeyed (because, hello, Heavenly Father knows how much I hate sewing and He loves me) and I found them. In China. $3 each with free international shipping. I was a little nervous because it sounded too good to be true and there were limited reviews. But $27 and 12 days later, our 9 aprons arrived at our doorstep. I was thrilled! In case you're curious as to where I bought them, you can find their website HERE. I cannot even tell you what a blessing this was!
I did all the baking and the frosting while Ben took charge of the fondant. We used April's marshmallow fondant recipe and we definitely were rookies with it! Let's just say that I learned how much Ben loves Lily with all the energy he put into his fondant that got really hard overnight. The cake stands were candlesticks super glued to plates (all from the Dollar Tree) and spray painted.
As I was talking to my Dad last night at 9:30 PM I remembered that, oh yeah, I still hadn't made the cupcakes that the kids would be eating. If that's any kind of indication of what my week has looked like....
So cute!
I helped the girls who wanted to airbrush their cakes, but they were all in charge of their piping and candy add ons.
Skyler's Jackson Pollock cake. Maybe he'll make tons of money off of it by calling it an abstract expressionistic cake.
This toddler is go, go, go all the time but he never seemed to wake up today. At one point he was playing in the backyard and I saw him try to come up the stairs and give up, lie down, and try to fall asleep.
Ella, on the other hand, wanted to be the life of the party and was very depressed when she was put down for her nap halfway through the party.
Poor Skyler, Ella, and Thad didn't have room at the dining room table to eat with everyone else so they were forced to eat on the deck.
Every birthday party is more work than I expect, but this one really did turn out cute. The girls all had such a good time and each of their cakes were unique and beautiful. I think it was all a dream come true for Lily. It was totally up her alley.
Happy (almost) 7th birthday, Lily!
2 comments:
Cute idea! Looks like a great party! I can hardly believe the deal you got on the aprons with shipping included. The cake stands were a great idea too. Happy early birthday, Lily!
What a blast. I was grinning through the whole post. Sorry I had to miss the party--next time!
Post a Comment