Monday, August 3, 2015

Skyler's Angry Bird Party

I realize that we are a few years behind on the whole Angry Birds fad, but Skyler looooves Angry Birds.  Ben and I really limit the kids' video game time and so Skyler always looked forward to being stuck at Lily's dance classes each week because it meant a full hour of playing Angry Birds on the tablet -- his only gaming hour of the week.

When I gave him a few options of possible birthday parties there was no competition -- it had to be Angry Birds.  So I collected our cardboard boxes for a few months and Ben built a giant slingshot out of leftover lumber in our garage and giant rubber bands.  If it wasn't for the pizza and party favors, this party was basically free.  Everybody won, really.  :)




Our family tested out the sling shot and balls the night before the party.  We learned that old tennis balls were far more effective at knocking stuff over than kickballs.  We also learned to build really weak towers for the kids' sake.  :)








Ella and Thad stayed on the sidelines during the first half of the party and then napped away for the second half.


Carter's little sister cried really hard when her dad dropped him off, and so he asked if he and his daughter could stay.  It ended up being such a blessing to have another super tall guy to help Ben build the towers.


Every single present Skyler got this year was perfect for him!  He got a bunch of super hero stuff, a bajillion lego sets, and Jurassic World dinosaurs from Nanni and Papa.




Skyler:  "Oh cool, Nanni and Papa gave me a pterodactyl.  Oh cool, they also gave me a velociraptor.   OH MY GOODNESS THEY GAVE ME A T-REX!!!!! AAAAAA!!!!" *flips out* (I'm not sure why he looks so calm in the picture.  It was hilarious). 


One of the ideas I saw on pinterest was giving away gummy worms to the kids as their "bird food" for party favors.  They also got to take home their own sling shots and birds to shoot.  It was seriously the perfect party for little boys.  All of them found something fun to do between the sling shot, trampoline, nerf gun targets, pinata, and pin the beak on the bird. 

We are so grateful to have Skyler in our family.  He is my most favorite 6 year-old in the whole world!  I love watching how his mind works in such unique and brilliant ways.  I can't wait to see what he chooses to do for a living when he's an adult.  He amazes me with his understanding and recall.  Skyler loves the gospel and tries so hard to live it as best he can.  I love hearing him talk in his baby voice to Thad and I love finding lego creations left on my bed when I go upstairs at night.  I love that he still gives me cheeky squeezes. I love when he asks us to tell him "No mischief!" followed by some crazy story (no flying around on the ceiling fan, using the blinds as ladders, flushing yourself down the toilet, going ice skating in the tub, etc) every night when we tuck him in.  Happy 6th birthday Skyler!

2 comments:

gr8macbeth said...

Heather , You are amazing!! I am always so impressed with the creativity that you use when you put on kids parties, and doing activities with your kids. I have to admit that I have borrowed a few of them myself. We really love your family, even if you live sooooo far away.

Joe and Eve

thepodfather said...

We love Skyler - I know this sounds trite, but he really IS a special boy (as anyone who knows him will tell you). What a great party.