I don't know about y'all, but whenever I see my kids in their natural state I think to myself Aww, how cute are they?! Then I pull out the camera and they automatically go What is the most unnatural face/pose I can make so that Mom has to retry this 10 times?
I think it's time that I talk about one of Ella's biggest obsessions.
Public bathrooms.
Yes.
She is a bit of a public bathroom connoisseur. Any time we go anywhere, even if it's for 2 minutes, she has to check out their bathroom. You can imagine how fun it is to take Ella shopping, especially when it's to more than one store. And while Lily and Skyler were the exact opposite and were terrified to use public bathrooms for years, I now realize that this end of the deal isn't so convenient either.
Ella has a ranking system. She knows which places have the best bathrooms and so she will plan our trips accordingly. You might be asking yourself, "What makes one bathroom better than another according to a 3 year-old bathroom lover?" Well, I'm glad you asked! Let me tell you all about it!
1) The smaller the potty and lower the sink, the better. Our stake center has a toddler sized bathroom attached to the nursery. Whenever Ella stays in there when I'm doing zumba, she asks to go to the bathroom about every 2 minutes just so she can re-live the experience.
2) The smaller the stall, the better. Who wouldn't want to watch their mom try to hold a wiggly one year-old in a 2 square foot area while doing your business?
3) Paper towels are better than fans. Unless, of course, it's another day and then obviously fans are better than paper towels. Duh. Try and keep up.
4) The soap. Is it liquid soap or foam? Does it smell good or just... soapy? Ella could tell you all about it.
5) Is there a full length mirror to check yourself out in? If no, deduct points. Add points if it's not blocked by a trash can.
6) How complicated is the stall lock for a 3 year-old? The more complicated the better the challenge and the more mom's eyes start twitching from not being allowed to help.
I could tell you more but I'll leave it at this. Ella really loves bathrooms. Really, reeeeeaaally loves them. Just yesterday when I took her to use ours she started hugging the toilet bowl before I could stop her -- I'm talking face completely smushed up against the toilet kind of hugging. And wouldn't you know it, all that angelic hair fell in the toilet and got wet.
(I might have had a mini panic attack)
Here's to hoping that Ella finds a new obsession (any obsession!) and soon!
6 comments:
Your little woman is hilarious! And I just adore her.
your description of your little woman is even more charming! You get points for keeping the bathroom clean enough that she would think of hugging the porcelain throne! (maybe she sees it as her throne - you said she is a princess, right?)
Funny comment, Carla! Actually, when I read the introductory statement about children "in their natural state", I was expecting photos in the tub. :)
This post made me remember the time our first 4 kids had the photographer is tears!! Poor girl! There was no way she could get all of them looking at the same place at the same time.
I will never admit to having said this, but somehow the hair style and the facial expressions on Ella reminded me of Frau Blucher (neigh-hay-hay-hay). Or maybe it's just because I haven't seen Young Frankenstein in well over 30 years.
Gotta love our Ella.
Can I just say how much I love you. I'm crying (laughing tears) over here! I could read your life every day!
Post a Comment