One thing that Ben and I desperately wanted to do in Hong Kong was to visit Tai O fishing village. I really wanted to experience stepping into another culture that was completely different from my own (because, you know, just going to Hong Kong didn't do it... ha!). Tai O definitely delivered. We traveled from Hung Hom all the way to the opposite end of Lantau Island to get there. As soon as we got off the bus we hopped onto a tiny little boat that would give us a water tour around the village, and then a short trip out to sea to have a chance to see the famous pink dolphins.
Now I have to share the first half of a somewhat embarrassing story. Okay, it's not super embarrassing, but it sort of is. You have to understand that I am a HUGE animal lover. When I go to the zoo, I melt over the animals. When I go to an aquarium, I melt over the fish. When I go to Yellowstone, I melt over the bison. I always end up telling Ben that someday we're going to adopt a/an [fill in any non-snake animal's name here] after we visit these places. So you can imagine my inner giddiness when I knew there was a chance I could see pink dolphins. This is the embarrassing part: I actually said a prayer with hope that I would get to see them. I got the answer back, Heather, just wait. You can't even imagine what's coming. I almost started crying on the boat, but I proudly managed to keep it together.
As it turns out, we didn't get to see the pink dolphins and I just had to look at google images on my computer later that day to make up for it. But just so you know, even though I didn't get to see the pink dolphins, the answer to my prayer came to pass on a different day -- not with the pink dolphins, though. But you'll just have to wait for my Ocean Park post. :) (Then you'll REALLY be making fun of me)
We did get to see fisherman bringing in their nets.
I feel like the main smell of Hong Kong is fish. It is absolutely everywhere in every variety, dehydrated or fresh.
Dehydrated shark skin
These are real dehydrated puffer fish. They also had smaller ones hanging on decorative strings that were wearing those chinese conical straw hats. I didn't realize they were real at first and thought, These would be so much fun to give to the kids as Christmas ornaments. And then I realized they were real. #gamechanger #almostbecameacreepyparent #thekidswouldneverletmeforgetthatoneChristmas
When we got back to Hong Kong Island, Mum and Dad took us to a mall where you can get these giant snow cone-like desserts. They split a mango one and Ben and I split the pineapple. Seriously, another thing that needs to happen in the US! I mean, aren't we already big on oversized portions?! Why isn't this huge here?
1 comment:
I wish Laura and I could have had a trained and seasoned Hong Kong missionary couple to show us around 40 years ago when we were there! Some of the things you posted brought back memories from our trip, but I think we missed a lot, too! So glad you got to go!
Post a Comment