So, you know. Yes Day. It's an annual thing at our house. The kids have to agree on everything we do and eat all day long and I am obligated to say yes so long as none of us die in the process.
Each year I expect them to have a Yes Day list ready to go which would include some of the following: going to the movies, going to the zoo, going to a fancy restaurant, going to the beach, etc. All things I really don't want to do without Ben helping me survive along the way. But for some reason, their requests are always so simple and small that it always humbles me and reminds me how little we truly need to be happy.
The first request of the day was chocolate chip waffles while we watched Inside Out. No problem.
They wanted me to blow them up balloons. I have grown to hate these rubbery little contraptions. They look so sweet and innocent but they always start fights because so and so always has "someone else's" balloon and it becomes a source of contention. I blew up the balloons anyway and put a smile on.
For their morning snack they requested Twinkies, which they had just been introduced to a day or two earlier.
Next, (not pictured) they requested a trip to Target to "buy new toys." I gave them a budget of $5 each. I made it clear that they could use their own money to buy something for themselves or they could combine their money and buy something really cool. Lily couldn't bring herself to share her money and so she got a tiny lego set. The other three split their money on these awesome Star Wars walkie talkies. One is Kylo Ren's helmet and the other is a Storm Trooper's.
Then they wanted to play in the creek. I sprayed them down with bug spray and they played out there for at least 45 minutes.
Skyler loves skipping stones and was even able to skip a few on the creek. He got way better at it during out trip to the Outer Banks, though.
For lunch the kids all agreed that they wanted an all fruit lunch. I was more than happy to oblige.
(Those are the awesome walkie talkies in the background)
I agreed that Lily and Skyler could watch a movie during naptime while the babies slept.
After everyone was up, they all wanted a turn to "drive" the car aka sit in the driver seat and pretend to push buttons and barely turn the wheel. They had so much fun I couldn't help but laugh over the simplicity of it.
We finished up the day at Michaelangelo's -- a pizza buffet nearby.
I always dread this day and have to work myself up for it, but it always is so amazing in hindsight that they really just want to be kids. I say no so so often, and I really should say yes more. Until Yes Day 2017!
No comments:
Post a Comment