Monday, December 26, 2016

Jacob's Funeral

Lizzie went into labor almost a month early.  She wasn't supposed to be induced early until January.  When he was born it was clear that his one lung wasn't able to convert oxygen to carbon dioxide.  He had several other problems including one completely closed ear.  He lived for about 8-9 hours and was able to be held by each of his siblings and two of his grandparents before he returned home to his heavenly family.

Becca and Preston were already on their way down to NC for Christmas.  So Preston and Ben stayed behind with all the kids while Becca and I flew out to Seattle.

The day before the funeral, Lizzie, Mom, Becca, Brian's mom and sister, and I all went to go dress baby Jacob.  He still had so much color!  It was so sweet holding him and feeling his soft hair.  He definitely looks like his siblings.  I was blessed to be able to hold him and get tons of pictures of him being dressed.  Then we let the kids come in and each of them had a turn to hold and kiss him before he was placed in his sweet, tiny casket.

This was the first time the Whale family has all been together since Becca's wedding 6 1/2 years ago.  It was definitely great to all be together again.  As usual, Becca and Lizzie played duets from their earlier years.

Since I don't get to see my nieces and nephews on the other side of the country often, I of course had to bring some art projects to do with them.  :)  I highly recommend Aquarellum products.  They turned out so beautiful!




We were able to play tons of games with the kids for hours and hours.  We played hide and seek, sardines, and black magic.  I'm so grateful that we were able to make great memories with them since I don't know the next time I'll get to see them again.

Sweet little Jacob on a miraculously sunny day.

Joseph and Helaman weren't able to go to the funeral because they had pneumonia.  :(  When it rains it pours.











While it was sad to see Jacob gone so soon, the spirit made witness that it was meant to be and that it was truly for the best.  We are so grateful for the Plan of Salvation and for the sealing power that means we will see Jacob again.  He was simply "called to serve" and is busy on the other side of the veil.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Thank you for sharing these very tender pictures and feelings with us. Our hearts rejoice at the greatness of God's plan for us and at the same time we feel such sorrow for the temporary loss of this sweet boy. Love and prayers to you and your family.

Chrissy said...

Wow! I loved reading your perspective. What a great family ya'll are! I am blessed to know all of you.