Wednesday, March 18, 2009

It's a........

BOY!!!!! Ben and I are very excited to say that we're going to have a son! It's strange because I've always been freaked out to have a boy (since I know nothing about them..... well except for Ben..... but I don't think Ben's NORMAL.......) but I am really really really excited to have a boy! Yes it would have been more convenient to have a girl because they could have used all the same clothes since they were both born in the summer, but oh well. This just means I have to do more baby shopping!!! Oh poor me...... The good news is that the baby is 100% healthy. On the other hand I have 3 specialists I have to be seeing right now. Goodness gracious. That's going to get hectic.


I have had some questions about my weird pregnancy so let me just put it on the blog so I don't have to answer 5 billion emails. In December, when I was 6ish weeks along, the baby's bloodstream got into mine. We have different blood types and so my body created a bunch of antibodies to defend itself. Because of this super-rare incident a few doctors have been putting their heads together to figure out whether I'll be able to have children again. I'll be able to get pregnant, I just won't be able to carry a baby to full-term because the antibodies I created in this pregnancy will attack any future fetus. There's a possibility that because doctors are catching this pretty early on that I'll be fine and have 50 more kids. But each pregnancy will be riskier than the last unless something is done in this pregnancy. We will hopefully be getting some results back in the next little while. So that's the 411 on pregnancy #2.


Well life continues to be wonderful. I don't think that Ben and I have ever been so happy. We realize how blessed we are (even if we're only able to have two kids). We're really thankful for all the love and support we've been given. It would have been a lot harder to get through this little drama without it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know I put it on facebook, but I am so excited for you!!! :)

Linda Westover said...

Every family needs to have at least one of each -- makes sex education much easier! We're thrilled for you. It's nice to be alive when their are specialists to help us through challenging situations.

Raschelle said...

I think it's crazy that that happened to you. I learned about it in my psych class. I don't know what type of blood you have -- if it's negative then it relates, if not then you're just weird;) But apparently if the Mom has a negative blood type, and the dad has positive, then the first baby will be fine, but during that second pregnancy you build up antibodies and it is really rough. I learned about that last semester and I was scared because I have a negative blood type, so it's very likely that the same thing will eventually happen to me:( Luckily there's some shot (Rhgam or something) that I can get. Yipee.

Brenda Sue said...

YAY for boys!! It's the cool thing to do you know?!?

Julie said...

A BOY! Wow!! Good luck. Do you know what to do with a boy because I don't! Growing up in a family of all girls I really have no idea.

Thanks for the 411 on what has been happening with your pregnancy. I have been wondering but have been too chicken to ask and didn't want to pry. I'm really happy that you've got great doctors helping you figure all this out!

Have fun with all the shopping. :)

Liz Wilcken said...

Hey, Pres. Uchtdorf and his wife only have 2 kids :) 2 isn't bad, and more isn't bad either :) Exciting day!

Becca said...

Woot woo for a handsome little man! I can't wait to meet the fellow! Auntie Becca wants to play....but not for another 20 weeks! :)

Kathryn said...

congrats! 2 kids is great... there's only my sister and i in our family, and it's been really nice - we got more attention from my parents probably than families with 8 or 10 kids or something like that. :) that's so exciting! little boys are adorable. :)

Chrissy said...

CONGRATULATIONS on the boy! I'm so happy for you. And I'm so sad to hear about your health problems, but relieved to hear that this little boy is healthy. You'll be in our prayers.