Friday, March 11, 2011

Church


Notice the dress.  This picture was not taken on a Sunday.  And really, this picture could have been taken any day for the past two weeks.  Confused?  Let me explain.  Lily loves church.  Like, when she's sick and can't go, I actually have to convince her it's not Sunday so she doesn't collapse on the floor in tears all day.  Yeah, that kind of like.

So 2 weeks ago I started letting Lily pick out her own outfits.  I'm not gonna lie.  The child has got plenty of clothes.  Each time I said, "time to get dressed," I'd stand next to her dresser and point to it, gesturing for her to pick out something.  But no.  She always goes to the closet, slides open the door, and starts tugging on a dress.  "Church today?"  "No, Lil.  It's Wednesday."  "Oh...." *now super gloomy*  But she still puts on a dress.  And when it's not Sunday, she puts on church for us.  As in she acts out Sacrament Meeting.  This is usually how it goes:

Opening Song (which Lily conducts while she holds one of those mini hymnals.  Sometimes it's a recognizable song like Popcorn Popping or Twinkle Twinkle but most of the time it's something she's made up)
Opening Prayer (which she always gives and waits until both Skyler and I are folding our arms)
2nd Opening Song
2nd Opening Prayer
3rd Opening Song
3rd Opening Prayer
Talks (All of course given by Lily.  The topic is always different.  Somehow Jesus has something to do with dolls, hair bows, and castles).

It's nice to know how much Lily loves church.  Now if only I could get my kids to be GOOD in church.  That would be nice.  Each FHE now we pretend that we're in church and we practice sitting reverently.  I'll let you know if it actually works once our whole family can actually go to church.  I hate having sick kids.

The List of Randoms

  • Bless the person who invented the shopping carts with the race car in front.  I owe you my sanity.  And we will dedicate Ben's next wood project to you.  That's right.  Every Saturday I take the kids grocery shopping with me so that Ben can have his wood time (plus power tool noises freak out the kids).  And this is his biggest project yet.  As in, it has cost us a little over $100. Umm.... to me that's mucho dinero.  My guess is that we'll be revealing this project on the blog in 2ish weeks. The drywall is almost done.  Then it needs to be mudded.  And then I get to paint it. Get excited.  Or jealous.  Whatever.
  • My old roomie Deanna taught me how to make some of the best cookies ever.  So simple.  Make peanut butter cookie dough, press it down into a pan (like bar cookies) and bake.  Then when they're cool melt a ton of chocolate chips and pour it over.  I am obsessing with them right now.  Try it.  Your taste buds will thank you.  
  • I am loving this warm weather.  I hope it never goes away.  That is, until I start craving snow in October-ish.
  • Ben and I have started to plant our garden (!!!!!!!!) in little egg cartons.  And they're sprouting.  I'm just a little excited that I actually OWN land and can plant whatever the heck I want.  Let me just say this: we will be eating GOOD (I know, horrible English) this summer.  Mmmmmmm.....

4 comments:

April Bishop said...

Thank goodness we don't really have three of everything at real church... :) We have a "reverent chair" we use with the girls. We have them sit with arms folded and started with 1 minute. When the mastered that, we upped it to 5... and so on. Gave a reward of some fun family activity or game when they were done and it's really made a difference. If they can sit for 10-15 minutes doing absolutely NOTHING, then church is all of a sudden not so bad. Way more to see... It's worked (fairly) well for us, so there's another idea. And the girls don't even hate it... :)

Chrissy said...

This is so cute of her! Don't you hope they always love church like this?

Cheryl said...

I'm looking forward to seeing the suprise Benjamin's making!
Lily's love for Church is a testament that small children are definitely close to the Saviour.

David & Brenda said...

A lot of fun random stuff! :) And...I know what the project is...but we'll see if it is anything like what my imagination has created. You tell that little Lily that grandmum will play church with her anytime (if I can just get there!)