Monday, March 21, 2011

Dear World


 Skyler's 3 comforts: his blankie, a ball, and Muffin (my favorite childhood stuffed animal.  I even took that dog with me to the hospital when I had surgery as a kid)


Reading Time.  It's so much more fun to hear HER version of books.

In my life, I've had a lot of time to wonder.  What if I turned left at some point in my life when I should have turned right???  Am I where I'm supposed to be?  What if I could have done better at something that I didn't try too hard at?  Is Heavenly Father pleased with where I'm standing?

One thing I have struggled with is embarrassment.  I'll admit that I have struggled for a long time with the fact that I got married at 18 and then had Lily a year later.  Then Skyler came a year after that.  My life pretty much hit the fast forward button as soon as I went to college.  I have only recently gained the peace that only comes when I don't give a hoot what the world thinks.  I don't care if the world thinks I'm insane and giving up my life for a strange reason like.... oh my goodness, heaven forbid!!!!...... MOTHERHOOD.  

So......

Dear World,
you, too, have a mother.  Yep.  Someone gave birth to you.  Someone carried you for 9 months through aches and pains, sleepless nights, countless mornings of vomit just to go through the most excruciating experience possible at the end and deliver you.  Yep.  You have a mom, too.  

And aren't you glad?  I mean, who tucked you back in when you had nightmares?  OK, maybe your dad did that, too, and honestly, they deserve the same respect.  Who drove you all around to school and piano lessons?  Who listened to all your high school drama?  Who kept your house and clothes clean?  Who made sure you actually ate something healthy?  Who finished that project that you were assigned that you just happened to forget about until 9 PM the night before it's due?  Oh yeah.  That was your mom.  In case you don't get my point, moms are kind of important.  

At the same time, who do you call when life hits its lowest low?  Who seems to know all the answers like how to treat some stain or how to get through heartbreak?  Who is one of the first people you call when you ace an exam?  Who gets to be one of the first people to hold your newborn?  Who gets to teach you how to coordinate clothes so you don't look like a complete goofball on your first day of school?  Who dressed you up for your prom so that you feel like everyone thinks you're gorgeous.  Oh that's right.  It was your mom.  

So, Dear World, despite what you might think, my job rocks.  I get to shape the future.  And isn't that better than sitting in front of a desk and computer everyday?  Yeah, I thought so.  

Love,
Heather aka "Mommy" to Lily and Skyler Macbeth aka the two cutest beings on the face of the planet

P.S.  World, go ahead and thank your mom for all she's done.  Maybe mention words like "false labor," or "refereeing," or "too many late night infomercials during night feedings."  She'll know what I mean.

5 comments:

Lesa said...

Thank you! This is an exact answer to the blog I wrote today that I thought no one would understand.

I also love to hear Maddox's versions of stories. He doesn't have a very big vocabulary, but that just makes it so much cuter. :)

Lisa Christensen Bagley said...

From someone who sits at a desk and computer everyday--I'm so VERY envious of motherhood! It could be the fact that I will get to explore all the struggles in 12 weeks, but from one who has been there, thank you for making the decision to be a mother!

There are plenty of people who can sit at a desk and do what I do, but there is only one Heather that can be the mother to Lily and Skyler. (And I think you are doing a great job! :)) So...Amen, Sister :)

Liz Wilcken said...

Ummm...CORRECTION: I am the one to call about stains! JK, Mom's are good for that too. I'm glad I raised you right Feb. See, all my mothering of you, and you still turned out fabulously weird. In a good way of course! We wouldn't have you any other way!

David & Brenda said...

I really loved the video and pictures! It's kind of amazing to think I am the mother of that cute older version of Skyler who grew up to be Lily's and Skyler's father. My heart kind of gushed when I looked at the photo of him with Lily. You're right! It's wonderful to be a mother!!

Michal Thompson said...

thank you Heather for putting it into words for all to hear!