So back in January Ben and I had this conversation:
ME: Do you know what would be cool?
BEN: What?
ME: If you built a "castle" the kids could play in that was 2 stories and had a slide from the top.
BEN: OK. Let's do it. *shrugs*
I know. It took sooooo much convincing on my part. ;) The next day we sat down together and started sketching out ideas. Then Ben transformed our final sketch into mathematical measurements and started buying wood. After framing, drywalling, and a little bit of mudding, our castle is almost complete. (The reason why I'm revealing this before it's actually done is because Ben just agreed to help a friend redo their ceilings and will be busy for the next few weeks. So it will be a little while before it's 100% gorgeous.) I'll make sure I post a video tour when it's completely painted/beautified. I couldn't post a movie today for some reason.
The slide
It looks small from this view but that's a secret tunnel under the slide. The kids love to crawl through it. Ben and I can even fit through it when we slide through on our sides.
Stairs
Trivia Facts About the Castle
- Ben built it to code. That just made me laugh when he said he'd do that. But hey, it means it's safe.
- The floor on the 2nd story is the spare linoleum that our builder left in our house. It matches our kitchen floor.
- We were originally planning on putting plexi-glass in the upper windows for safety but we haven't had any problems at all so far. We're not sure if we'll do it or not.
- It cost us just over $100 to build. Not too bad. And it has been an AWESOME investment. The kids play on it ALL the time. I just hope it doesn't get old too fast.
- Both of my kids are freaked out by slides and haven't gone down by themselves yet. Boo. But every other kid who has played on it has used the slide like crazy. So at least it wasn't a waste of money. It's so sad because Lily loved going down much bigger slides by herself last year.... weird.
After I've seen about 5 billion wood projects that Ben has made in the few years of our marriage, I think this tops them all. It's just reason # infinity and beyond why Ben is dang awesome*.
*Sorry ladies, he's taken. Sorry children, we can't adopt you. But feel free to come over to play whenever you want.




8 comments:
SOOOOO COOL!!!!!!
Awesome! I can't wait to see it painted. And I love that it's done to "code". Way to go Ben! :)
Seriously, this is the COOLEST!!!! For real. Oh yeah, this is amazing!!
So cool!!! Nate would SO love to come over and play with Lily and the slide :)
I have been waiting to read about the mystery project!! I'm pretty sure that I would have thought that was the coolest thing growing up. And...I'm pretty sure I would have played in it (and been the coolest kid on the block) until the age of 12 :)
i think i have to come over. I also think I need to hire him to make me one!
I'm so jealous! This is awesome. I wish Eden could come over and play!
Oo, oo, oo! Dear sweet Ben. Brother of mine. Will you make me a castle house?! Pretty please! Like a REAL house. We'll pay you! Oh, and can it include a tower to put the kids in time-out in too? Time out Rapunzel style! I'm sure this is all Brian's dream just as much as it is mine!!!
Post a Comment