Thursday, August 11, 2011

Reality


I've mentioned before how difficult it is for me to view other people properly. I think we all have this feeling that we need to put on a fake happy face and pretend that everything's alright when it's not.  So when I share my ramblings I don't do it for attention or for pity.  I do it because it's reality.  When I read the scriptures they're full of rough stories.  I definitely think it's important to remember the tough stuff just so that we can be grateful for times when we're not in those situations. 

This past week has been RIDICULOUS.  Between the two kids we've suffered immunization shots (and the fevers that accompanied them), a virus, croup, and an ear infection.  Skyler became so sick his fever got up to 104.2 and he didn't eat or drink for a couple of days.  Last night his pediatrician instructed me to take him to the ER.  We had a friend come over and help Ben give Skyler a blessing and I immediately left.  To my surprise, Skyler slept for probably 5 of the 6 hours we were there.  That made the whole IV business much easier.  I was prepared for a full night of screaming Skyler but he was such a good sport.  I was so proud of him.  After a few days of being too weak to even turn his head to watch a movie, we were delighted when Ben went into his room this morning and found him rocking like crazy on his glider, giggling.  We're so relieved he's fine. 

I hesitate talking about this, just because it seems as if there's some unspoken rule that says that you're not supposed to.  But I don't always go with the norm and I want to record this.  In the midst of all this craziness, I had a miscarriage.  To be honest, I always assumed that if I were to ever have a miscarriage it wouldn't phase me much.  Everyone seems to react differently to them and I can understand how a lot of women become emotional about it.  But this was so early on in the pregnancy and I don't really bond with my kids until they're born.  So when I found out what my body was actually doing, it was a little bit of a bummer, but I wasn't upset. 

When it rains it pours, right? 

So life goes on with its ups and downs.  I told my mom that this was all so laughable that I wanted to cry.  But it makes me think back to Adam and Eve and how they chose to go through all the pains in life because it would be worth it to know the good.  And we DO have a lot of good to be thankful for.

10 comments:

Shelene said...

Hope things start to look a little (or a lot :) ) brighter for you soon! We love you guys!

Brenda Sue said...

Oh Heather.. It is so sad to see babies sick.. Keep your chin up.. Everything will be better tomorrow. (I tell myself that every day) Love you!!

Julie said...

Wow, Heather. You've been busy. I hope things look up very very soon. You are right...there is always, always something to be thankful for! I tell myself that just about every day. :)

Mary Ann said...

Do you know....I think that is one of Skyler's most handsome photos! Strange but true. Love y'all.

Chrissy said...

Oh, Heather, I am sorry that you have had a hard week! I am especially sorry about your miscarriage, but glad that you aren't upset. You have a great perspective and I am so glad that your little boy is doing better.

Michal Thompson said...

I am so sorry. It is so hard to watch your own kids go through this!

Manda 'n' Noah said...

oh heather i love your face and wish i could give you a hug and sit down and have one of those long talks again. i am so sorry all this has happened but so very glad that your little super man is feeling better!

Kristen said...

There are some days and some weeks, its just a relief to move on from and start fresh on a new one. :) Glad you guys are hanging in there.

April Bishop said...

love you guys!

Heidi Henderson said...

You are amazing... you know that!!! I'm so grateful for your example!!!