Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Bad Guy


Lily:  Can we play in the pool today?
Me:  No, because it's Sunday, the most special day of the week. 
Lily:  (Trying to get me to change my mind) It's not Sunday.  It's a suuuuuunny day.

Nice try kiddo.  Nice try.

I often have to remind Lily that I'm the mom.  It's common that I have to soothe an upset Skyler and tell him that he doesn't actually have to obey Lily when she tells him to go to time out because he's not doing something she asked, like getting her blankie or playing in the castle with her.  Normally Lily is a complete angel, but when she wants to push some buttons, she knows how.  One thing that I tell Lily all the time is, "Just enjoy being the cool, nice sister for a while.  You'll get to play the bad guy in about 20 years with your own kids."  I say it more to myself than to her, because it's probably over her head, and I was proven right when I overhead this fight today:

Lily: Skyler, you HAVE to play in the castle with me.
Skyler:  But I don't want to. 
Lily:  Grrrrrrrr!!!!!  (and she literally says "grrr" too)  I'm the bad guy Skyler.  You HAVE to do what I say.  Go downstairs and go to time out.  NOW!
Skyler:  *starts up his typical cry*

You know, when I was a kid I thought that moms had the best job in the world.  You virtually have the freedom to do whatever you want.  You can go shopping, make all the foods you like, drive yourself wherever, make all the rules.... such a grand life.  And even though I do enjoy that freedom, I now realize that all of it comes with a bad side.  Kids don't always like the food I like.  Shopping can be stressful when living on a budget.  I'm always blamed for my own rules and I'm just as miserable as the person being punished. 

I think it's time that I turned the tables and let the kids send me to time out.  One minute per year old?  Done.  I think I'll take a nice soak in the tub.

5 comments:

Liz Wilcken said...

So, you gonna share your trip to the hospital story? Glad nothing happened.

Carla and crew said...

I love your reflections on motherhood - and I am impressed at how well you express your insights. Maybe you should, ahh, write a book!

Michal Thompson said...

i love reading your blog. It always makes me laugh about being a mother, much needed!

Chrissy said...

So true. I would LOVE time out! :)

David & Brenda said...

I love Lily's sunny Sunday quote!