Friday, November 8, 2013

The Outdoorsman

I think it was for Skyler's 4th birthday when I wrapped up this Nerf gun that I had gotten on clearance.  This is how I shop.  I casually walk around the clearance sections at stores and see if there's anything super cheap that my kids would love.  We've been Christmas shopping for months this way and we only have 2 presents left to get.
 
Okay.  That was a serious tangent.  I guess I'm just excited that my Christmas shopping is basically done.
 
[woohoo!]
 
Anyway.  *ahem*  Ben looked at that gun and said something like, "Uh, that's way too big for a four year-old."  And me, not knowing anything about guns other than that target shooting is fun, said something like incredibly smart like, "Oh."
 
So we kind of hid it in the garage.
 
Until HE found it.
 
[HE meaning Skyler, naturally]
 
So I showed him the ropes with Ben's help every now and then.  Don't blame me for not knowing how to load a Nerf gun.  I didn't have brothers growing up, remember?
 
He's been intrigued by his gun ever since.
 

 This morning while Ella and Thad were napping, Skyler and I pulled out his gun again once we had raked that "ginormous" collection of leaves from our one tree in the front yard.  We plopped down on the porch and time after time he would hit the trunk of that tree.
 
This kid is amazing!


 Then we raked the backyard and Skyler requested a visit to the stream behind the fence.
 
[I spy Skyler]

 After a fun morning outside with one on one time, I told him it was finally time to go in.  That's when I was told that I was "The Worst Mom Ehhhhh-verrrr."
 
I don't take it personally.  I never do.  I usually just take it as the morning was a success and he was sad to see it end.
 
Me too, Kiddo.


2 comments:

David & Brenda said...

I hate to see it end too. Your blog entry, that is ...

Mary Ann said...

Sounds like Skyler has your aiming skills!