Last Monday at 1:45 AM, Ben left for scout camp in the mountains and was gone until Saturday. I had been dreading this week for months. I prayed hard to be able to handle everything at home on my own. As it turns out, the week was fabulous. The kids were [mostly] good and we went on our own adventures to the pool and movies. It was the 2nd time I've ever tried taking all 4 kids to the movies by myself and I finally figured out the trick to keeping Thad still the whole time: lots and lots and lots of popcorn and candy.
The sad part of the week was that Ben was at scout camp for his birthday. So we didn't get to celebrate it. No worries, we have plans for a future adventure -- just the two of us. It is just being delayed for a while until our family gets over Hand Foot and Mouth.
All of us were excited to have Ben home. The only downside was that I actually had to start feeling guilty about wearing sweats everyday. :)
We received a care package all the way from Hong Kong! Grandmum and Pop Pop sent the kids some "Dragon Beard Candy." It was like a coconut cotton candy wrapped around peanut pop rocks and covered in sesame seeds[I may have gotten some component of that wrong] . It was really cool! I made the mistake of telling the kids that it was candy when I should have just told them it was food from Hong Kong. Their expectations would have been very different. Skyler actually ended up loving it. Here's a video of them tasting it for the first time:
I'm really looking forward to tasting these kinds of treats in person. The clock is ticking and we are so excited to head out there as soon as the rainy season is done. Although I want a cultural experience, I refuse to suck a fish head and eat a 1,000 year old egg. But if Ben so chooses, I will make a video of it for everyone's viewing pleasure. :)

3 comments:
What? You're planning on a trip to Hong Kong? I'm jealous!
That movie cracked me up! Ella's expression is priceless. So excited for you and Ben!!!
Does that mean Benjamin will have to eat yours??
Post a Comment