Sunday, July 2, 2017

England Trip -- The Last Day

I can't tell you the kind of sadness that accompanied me that last day in England.  Neither of us were ready to leave.  But unfortunately my knee injury flared up our final morning in England and so we were really limited as to what we could do.  First things first -- skip the all inclusive hotel breakfast of toast and cornflakes (and literally nothing else, lol) and go get a full English breakfast.  We've been wanting to try one for a long time.  We each got our own and it didn't disappoint.  The mushrooms and the fruit tea we had were our favorites.


In case you're unfamiliar with the term "Full English Breakfast" it includes eggs, beans, bacon, hashbrowns, mushrooms, sausages, toast and baked tomatoes.  It's a lot.  And I couldn't finish it.  But I plan on re-doing it one of these days.  Also, in case you're curious, those beans are just like any canned beans in the US.

We went to King's Cross to visit Platform 9 3/4.  You have to wait in line to get your picture taken and they have staff members there to take your picture and to throw your scarf in the air as you jump.  I cannot tell you how fun it was to be standing in line with Harry Potter fans from around the globe.  The reason why our picture is so blurry is because the Israeli teenager we made friends with had no idea how to focus a DSLR.  Lol.

I'm a Hufflepuff...

... and Ben's a Gryffindor.

Naturally there is a Harry Potter store right next to it full of all things Harry Potter.  We seriously could have bought one of everything, but we figured we could get any of it on amazon for cheaper and so we actually left without buying a single thing.


We also decided to go to Portobello Rd. since it was only a 20 minute walk from our apartment.  I didn't really get too into it, but Ben really liked it.  There was store after store of silver plating serving pieces that he loved.  I mostly just liked looking at the old globes and compasses and things.


To some it may sound like such a waste of a day in England, but those were literally the only two things we did that day.  We were SO TIRED.  So we went back to our hotel, opened the window to listen to the rain, and we read in bed for the rest of the day.  And to be honest, that was another great English-y experience.  

We went to England to have a break from all the hardships we've been facing for the past year and a half with my miscarriages.  England didn't heal anything.  In fact, I feel worse now than before we left.  But England was something neither of us will ever regret doing.  I feel such a pull to go there again.  It was an incredible bonding experience for us.  If I could compare it to something, for me it felt like getting a big gulp of air when struggling to tread water.  It was an experience that gave me the will to keep going -- to keep trying.

No comments: