Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Parable of Captain Handsome Pants



Are y'all ready for a walk down memory lane?  Some of y'all didn't even know me when I was pregnant with Skyler.  Let me make this brief.  When I was about 6 weeks along with him his bloodstream (O+) somehow mixed into mine (O-).  I had 2 types of blood flowing through my body and I was sicker than I could ever imagine.  I can't even describe what that even feels like.  So I had to start seeing specialists.  I had doctor appointments multiple times a week and blood work was a given.  They told me not to expect any more children after Skyler.

I kept going to appointments, dragging Lily's car seat along with me.  I was determined to make everything right.  That pregnancy was HARD.  But it all paid off.  I ended up with a healthy baby boy (although the few months of colic weren't all too fabulous) and my specialists told me that they thought that my body had somehow miraculously healed itself.  Although, I'm too spiritual to believe in coincidences.  I don't think my body did anything on its own without the Lord's intervention.

So fast forward to the present.

Now, I'm not exactly the most graceful person in the world.  In fact, I would probably say that I'm pretty clumsy.  Mix that with the fact that I have super-low blood pressure and I just about pass out every single day of my life and it results in one very drunk-looking Heather.  But I digress, back to my story.  So about a week ago, Skyler was mad at me and pushed a chair at me.  It somehow toppled over on its side and landed on my foot.  Doesn't sound too painful in writing but it KILLED in reality.  It still kills, even though the bruise is hardly noticeable.  Then yesterday, as I was opening the fridge to grab some eggs, Skyler (as usual) tried to grab something out of one of the lower cubbies.  It was a glass jar of jam.  See where I'm going with this???  

So I'm calmly chasing Skyler and right as he sees me coming for him he lifts it over his head and slams it on the kitchen floor, shattering it into 5 bazillion pieces.  I moved him and Lily, and in the process, got a nice skinny sliver of glass jammed up my heel.  Luckily I have an awesome husband, who, after the kids were in bed, put Orajel on my foot (brilliant!!!) and proceeded to DIG it out.  

So now my right foot is injured on top and on bottom, and if I looked like an Alcoholics Anonymous candidate before, I definitely look like one now.  

Little Handsome has taken his toll on me.  I've mentioned before how he is the worst example of how a child should sleep through the night.  He never wants to do anything without me, which is soooo difficult when I really need to accomplish anything around the house.  He cries over EVERYTHING.

But you know what?  That kid loves me more than anything in the world.  He is more than happy to snuggle on the couch with me for hours at a whack.  He's more than happy to let me kiss his cheeks til they're raw.  He's more than happy to let me squeeze his chubby thighs until my finger prints have left red marks on them.  

Sometimes it's the really really really hard things in life that make each day worth it.  I can't imagine how boring my life would be if I didn't hear Captain Handsome Pants' giggles all over the house everyday.  

I would imagine that my life is much like yours: awesome, evil, funny, sad, up, down, boring, busy, exhausting, and unique.  But I think we each have a Skyler in our lives that makes us stronger and makes us happier. 

Hopefully yours doesn't make you look like an AA candidate like me, though....

4 comments:

Mary Ann said...

What can I say....I adore the "Captain"!!!!

April Bishop said...

Um. Ouch. At least he didn't throw the jar ON your foot... (silver linings, right?) Sweet post.

Cheryl said...

Sounds like Skyler keeps you hopping...literally. ;D

Chrissy said...

That is a sweet post. But I feel for you, both the pregnancy and the foot stories sound so painful!