Thursday, March 24, 2011

Pretty Much the Biggest Secret of My Life

So I've had a secret for a while now.  In fact, I've had it since the beginning of June of 2010.  I've been keeping it to myself for a LONG time.  Well, actually, Ben knows.  And my immediate family knows.  And that's it.  And normally I'm an open book (which I actually don't mind) so that says something.

I've been keeping this quiet because I have ridiculously low self-confidence in myself concerning this matter.  Now, this is not a BAD secret.  It's not something I'm ashamed of at all.  In fact, I think it's one of the coolest/funnest things I've ever done in my life.  But I still have major reservations in sharing this major part of my life with the world.

But I'm really sick of keeping this secret.  I actually don't like to wear any type of facade or give people false impressions of myself.  So I think it's time to blurt this out.  After almost a year.

When people first meet me one of the first questions is, "what do you like to do?" or "what are your hobbies?"  To which my mind always replies, "gotta keep it secret."  So I usually just say the typical, "spend time with my family and reading."  Woo - freaking - hoo.  I know.  So exciting.  So here's the truth:



I'm writing a book.



OK..... breathe in.  Breathe out.  Wow.  Glad I got that one off my chest.  I'm pretty sure I can hear the crickets chirping with this awkward pause.  Or maybe it's just quiet because I just put my kids down for a nap and I can sense all the weird looks coming at me through my computer screen.

So yep.  You read that right.  I'm writing a book.  A fictional book.  And it has been a total blast.  So if you ever happen to come over and I'm sitting at my computer and you hear me laughing out loud, I'm probably just brainstorming or writing an awesome chapter.

And let me say this:  I will NEVER EVER be published.  Being published is pretty much like winning the lottery.  It's harsh, but it's also reality.  Believe me.  I've done my research.  Lots and lots of research.  And I don't even know if I'll ever even finish writing this book.  Although it would be super awesome if I could because at the moment it's book #1 of a trilogy that I plan on writing during practically every nap time for the next few years (because let's be honest, I'm not going to do the laundry until it's absolutely necessary).

Maybe you're wondering why I'm doing this.  Here's why: because I needed something affordable and constructive to fill up my free time that was something just for me.  Nobody else.  Just me.  And I LOVE it.

So for now, it's just a fun hobby that I'm SUPER embarrassed to share with y'all.  But now I've done it so that I don't have to lie anymore.  I hate lying.  It's just not me.

So there ya go.  The biggest secret of my life.

12 comments:

Lesa said...

That's awesome! Chris has written 2 books and had them self published because it IS so hard to actually get published for real.

Karen said...

I can imagine Stephanie Meyer saying the same thing when she was a young mom at home writing during nap time :)

Kristen said...

That's awesome! When you're famous I'll tell everyone that I knew you way back when. :) I totally get the something just for me time. Every mom needs that!

Liz Wilcken said...

Well, if you ever DO get published, I call dibs on running your OFFICIAL fan blog!

Cheryl said...

Uncle Jim said, "Good for her! She writes good blogs, so why not!" I echo that sentiment! The only sure fire way of NOT getting published is to not write, so you've already mastered one of teh hurdles. :D

Linda Westover said...

No reason at all to be embarrassed! It's awesome that you have recognized what you like to do and have figured out a way to work it into your life. Go Heather!

Michal Thompson said...

that is super awesome! You never know...

April Bishop said...

And I thought you were announcing the third addition to your family... :) And if you ever want to read my book, we can trade. It's a fun thing to do with your time. Enjoy it and own it, girl!

Rachel said...

So cool! I always play around with the idea of writing a book, not for the fame or fortune, but to be in charge of the experience and what happens. Like I think about JK Rowling and the awesome world she created within her books and I would love to have my own escape like that. Props for doing this!!

Chrissy said...

That's awesome!! Really, it is. That's why I started photoshop, because I needed something creative to do in my down time. Good for you!

Megan said...

Way to go Heather! Good for you. I knew you rocked. (0:

So here is the website I have been raving about.

http://www.hair-hardware.com/

And Jaxon has Monday afternoon off, so let me know what works best for you.

Becca Meservy said...

Reading your blog is definitely a highlight of late-night-I-should-be-asleep-but-I-need-me-time.

I think you're a fabulous writer.