Thursday, January 19, 2012

Princess

Snow White

Lily has a pink cardboard trunk filled with Disney princess clothes.
Each day, without fail, she matches each outfit perfectly (well, she's actually wearing Cinderella's choker in this picture... tisk, tisk).
She plays in them.
Eats in them.
Sleeps in them.
She even went to a birthday party in one this week.
She's slightly obsessed with them.

Then this week she informed me that she's going to marry a prince.
Which prince?  I have no idea.
I just hope he's not a cartoon.

But Lily is so convinced that she's a princess.
I guess the fact that we have a 2-story castle upstairs doesn't help.
Even Skyler calls all of Lily's Sunday dresses "Princess Clothes."
And Ben always says, "Goodnight Princess" when we tuck her in at night.

So when Lily watches Cinderella, or Sleeping Beauty, or Belle, or Snow White,
I hope that she really knows that what I think of a princess has so much more to do with her divine potential.  That she very literally is a princess.

Someday, I hope that Lily will read this blog about all the adventures that we have been and will go on together as a family.
And I hope, as I firmly believe myself, that she will come to learn that the truest stories are the best ones.

She'll never be treated like a servant.
She'll never need a magical gift to be considered beautiful.
She'll never be imprisoned.
And she won't have to run away to feel safe.

Lily, you're only 3.
So I will oooh and aaah every time you dress up in princess clothes.
And I'll snap lots of pictures.
But someday, someday, you will learn that you are special all on your own.
And when those moments hit when I can't believe you are mine,
I know that there are two Heavenly Parents who are doing the same.
I love you, Princess.

2 comments:

David & Brenda said...

Priceless! Every word is a jewel. Heather, you should submit this thought to the Church magazines. I personally think it has application to the Friend, the New Era, and the Ensign. It is too priceless to stay in a blog.

Carla and crew said...

I agree with your mom--can I share this with our Young Women?