At the Raleigh temple grounds last year.
Before I got married I kept being warned that something would go wrong on our wedding day. (When my sister, Lizzie, got married, their car died on the side of I-15 on the way down to the reception and so they had to be driven to their hotel by my parents. AWKWARD.) So I mentally prepared myself for different situations with the hope that everything would go more smoothly.
Surprisingly enough, only one thing went wrong on our wedding day (besides the fact that neither Ben nor I got to eat any of our wedding cake, but that's typical). After meeting up in the Salt Lake temple lobby we were taken in to the temple to do some paperwork. Then, we were taken to the Celestial Room to wait until the actual sealing.
So Ben and I just sat there, enjoying the quiet alone time, not being pressured by all of the day's events. I can remember sitting on a couch and looking around at the gorgeous (and huge!) room, thinking, "This is what it's all about." We weren't really paying attention to anything except each other. Then a temple worker came up to us and asked, "Do you happen to know where your witnesses are?" Umm... no. We had sort of said our goodbyes to everyone at the lobby a while earlier. In typical temple worker fashion, she just smiled and walked away. Then a few minutes later another temple worker came and asked us the same thing. And then another. And then another. So it was pretty clear that our witnesses were lost somewhere within the Salt Lake temple. Eventually they were found, and Ben and I were finally able to get sealed. Almost an hour late.
But that was an hour of extra time that Ben and I got to spend alone together in the most peaceful place in the world. It kind of makes me sad that it's supposedly bad luck to see the bride before the wedding, because there's so much craziness on a wedding day that you almost don't have time to breathe. This was a perfect mistake for our wedding day. We both still agree that that is probably our favorite memory of June 21st, 2007.
4 comments:
Someone was very late for our sealing so a similar thing happened to us- only in a much smaller Celestial Room ;)
Probably the same little temple workers came into the sealing room where your guests were waiting, and asked the same thing! Uncle Paul told them that he thought the witnesses had gone up to the sealing office. So we waited some more and after the marriage, Dave said that he and the other witness were just patiently waiting right by the desk where the temple worker was calling everywhere on the phone--looking for the "lost witnesses." He finally spoke up and said he thought the sealing they were waiting for was supposed to have started 30 or 40 minutes ago! gotta love it! and thanks for sharing your side of the story, which I had not heard.
Happy memories!
how cute!
Post a Comment