Yesterday morning I learned that my grandfather “Gramps”
died in the night due to the cancer that he had been fighting for months. When I got the phone call from my mom my
heart kind of dropped because even though Gramps had been going downhill
quickly in the last little bit of his life, I wasn’t ready.
Today I was going to have the kids draw him some pictures
that I could mail to him. As I write
this Lily is drawing a picture of our family so that we can still give it to
him, even if he won’t get to see it. I think that Gramps would have enjoyed the
little pizza slice version of our family (imagine pizza slices with faces and
legs with our names) since children were a huge part of his heart.
The hardest part of this situation for me is that I
desperately wanted to go to L.A. to say my final goodbye. But with me being 35 weeks into my pregnancy it
would be impossible for me to get on a plane and fly across the country. But I would have done it in a heartbeat had I
not been in my last trimester -- even with 2 crazy kids and a 3 day-old baby,
by myself -- if Gramps would have lived a little longer.
Gramps definitely wasn’t a perfect person. Sometimes he didn’t say things the way normal
people would, but there is no doubt in my mind where his heart was. But at least when he joked that he would chop
off my thumb when I was 6 if I didn’t stop sucking it, I actually did stop sucking my thumb. J
One thing that I treasure about Gramps is that he was so
selfless. He lived a very very humble life, even though he had the
means not to. Gramps always put his
time, service, and money in the hands of those he loved instead of thinking
about himself. There have been several
times in mine and Ben’s marriage when Gramps would ask me how we were doing
financially. Even when Ben and I were
barely scraping by I’d tell him we were fine.
Later that week I would still find a check in the mail. Many times it was our saving grace to pay for
rent or buy groceries. Every birthday
(and even on many holidays) I could always expect a card in the mail with money
and a request from Gramps to spend it in a way that would make me happy. And not only did I get them, my family has had many friends who got birthday cards
several years in a row enclosed with cash simply because they were our
friends. To Gramps, that was enough to
mean that they were his friends, too.
Wherever he was, he found a way to serve. When he’d visit us he’d ask for a list of
things that needed to be fixed or done around the house and he’d busy himself
working when he wasn’t playing with my sisters and me. When he lived at home he always helped his
neighbors and found ways to volunteer in his community.
But the thing that I loved best about Gramps was that he
called me on the phone every single week of my life. Most of the time our conversations would
sound identical to other conversations we’ve already had, but it didn’t
matter. Even if he was just calling to
check up on me and to tell me that he was painting his bathroom, what he was
really saying was that he loved me enough to make time for me, even if nothing
too exciting was happening in my life.
And that, perhaps, is what I will miss the most. I will miss my phone ringing every Saturday.
One particular memory I have of Gramps is when I first moved
to Rexburg. My mom and sister, Becca,
had just left from getting me settled, and I was completely alone in a place I
had never been to in my life. As excited
as I was to start college, I felt a deep sadness and fear of being alone. So within hours of being abandoned, I left my
apartment (where I was the only roommate to have moved in at that point) and
went up to campus to distract myself. To
probably no one’s surprise I found myself in the BYU-Idaho gardens. I easily concealed myself among some big
plants next to a fountain, and I let myself cry. After about 10 minutes of bawling my eyes
out, my phone rang. It was Saturday
morning so of course it was Gramps. Not
sure of whether I wanted to pick up or not, I let it ring a few times before I
finally decided to talk to him. I can’t
remember exactly what we talked about, but I can remember that Gramps had no
idea that I was crying but he said exactly what I needed to hear to make me
feel more uplifted and ready to start my new journey. By the time that we were saying goodbye I can
remember feeling the need to somehow hug him through the phone for the comfort
he had given me.
Every phone call ended the same with Gramps saying, “I love
you and miss you.” If I could say
anything to him right now it would be those words. I really do love you and miss you
Gramps. I’m so happy that you’re in a
happier place.


4 comments:
I was one of the lucky friends that got birthday cards from Gramps with money. I loved my special relationship with him since one of my grandpas passed away before I was born and the other when I was 9. I can remember his teasing making me laugh quite a bit as a kid.
I'm so sorry for your family's loss.
Heather, as always you express things much better than I could. Thanks for sharing your feelings. If I weren't in an airport right now I'd be crying. We'll all miss Gramps.
I am so sorry for your loss. Your family is in our prayers.
Your "Gramps" sounds like a very special man! My sympathy for your loss! Isn't the gospel knowledge of eternal families a blessing at this time!
I loved the photos of the kids and Benjamin at the beach, and appreciated the virtual image of you lying on your tummy! ;p)
What a beautiful expression of love and faith that both of you have expressed as you reflected on your marriage. Thanks for sharing your blog with all of us!
Post a Comment